High School Equivalency (HSE) test
Harrison County Lifelong Learning administers the high school equivalency (HSE) test using pencil/paper format for Region 10 in Southern Indiana. We serve Harrison, Crawford, Clark, Floyd, Scott and Washington Counties. Students who successfully pass the test will obtain an Indiana High School Equivalency Diploma.
Indiana Candidate Eligibility
The high school equivalency test may be administered only to individuals who meet the following minimum guidelines:
- Does not hold a diploma from an accredited high school or its equivalent; and
- Is a resident of the state of Indiana for a minimum of thirty (30) days immediately preceding the day of testing;
- Either has officially exited high school or is at least eighteen (18) years of age. An Exit Interview is required at pre-registration.
Students who are younger than 18 must also obtain an Indiana superintendent’s recommendation to participate in testing. Absolutely no one younger than 16 may take the test.
Additionally, all students must provide a verifying proof of identity. Valid driver’s licenses, valid passports, military ID’s or other forms of government-issued (national or foreign) identification must show name, address, date of birth, signature and photograph. If the photo identification does not establish Indiana residency, then a second form may be used.
The High School Equivalency Test
- The test battery is made up of five (5) sections; Math, Reading, Writing, Science and Social Studies.
- To earn a passing score on the high school equivalency test, a student achieve a scale score of at least an 8 on each of the five subtests; achieve a score of at least a 2 out of 6 on the essay; and achieve a total scaled score across all five subtests of at least 45.
- Students are eligible to retest twice a calendar year but must wait 30-days before retesting on the same subject.
- The cost of testing is $115.00 for the initial test battery; $23.00 per subject to retest.
Individuals must pre-register in person for all High School Equivalency tests. Please note there are deadlines for each test session. For an appointment or more information, call the learning center.
Test Administration & Records
Effective July 1, 2021, the State of Indiana uses HiSET® as the test to assess secondary completion. For more information, visit, www.HiSET.ets.org
The State of Indiana use Diploma Sender® for all high school equivalency records, including GED, TASC and HiSET scores. To order duplicate transcripts, diplomas, and letters of verification visit, www.DiplomaSender.com