Youth and Families Director
Website YMCA of Harrison County
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. This person will develop, organize and implement high quality youth programs while overseeing Kids Zone, Camps, and Youth and Government program by providing vision and Christian leadership.
1. Manages, directs and coordinates youth programs. Ensures high quality programs and establishes new program activities. Expands programs in accordance with strategic and operating plans.
2. Recruits, hires, trains, supervises, develops, schedules and directs personnel and volunteers as needed including onsite drop in child care, Kids Zone. Reviews and evaluates staff performance. Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals.
3. Develops, manages and controls budgets to meet fiscal objectives. Ensures program operates within budget and that program fees are collected. Develops and monitors program budget
4. Provides for upkeep of assigned program facilities and equipment.
5. Responsible for set up of program equipment such as tables and chairs and more; responsible for staffing opening and closing on-site and off-site locations.
6. Some evening and weekend work may be required. Fills in as direct staff when needed.
7. Develops and maintains relationships with local organizations and agencies related to assigned programs and to create new programs to respond to community needs. Responds to all agency, parent and community inquiries and complaints in a timely manner.
8. Works with Indiana Alliance of YMCAs for development and execution of Youth and Government program.
9. Organizes special events for parents.
10. Compiles program statistics. Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation in program.
11. Maintains proper records/department files.
12. Assures compliance with state and local regulations as they relate to program areas. Ensures that YMCA program standards are met and safety procedures followed.
13. Maintain a neat and professional appearance at all times and safely supervise activities.
14. Monitors the safety and well-being of participants and guests.
15. Ensures any worn or unsafe equipment is repaired/replaced.
16. Be able to articulate the mission to all staff, members and participants.
17. Leads the character development for all programs.
18. Assists in creating a member-focused culture and models relationship-building skills in all interactions. Fosters a climate of innovation and resolves problems to ensure member satisfaction.
19. Provides excellent service to members, guests, and program participants in person, on the phone and via email.
20. Assists in the marketing and distribution of program information.
21. Assists in YMCA fundraising activities including securing gifts for the annual campaign and assists in special events.
22. Coordinates and leads monthly staff meetings to communicate problems, policies, and procedures and highlighting successes.
23. Follows all YMCA policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures.
THIS JOB DESCRIPTION MAY NOT BE ALL INCLUSIVE AND EMPLOYEES ARE EXPECTED TO PERFORM ALL OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED BY MANAGEMENT. JOB DESCRIPTIONS AND DUTIES MAY BE MODIFED WHEN DEEMED APPROPRIATE BY MANAGEMENT.
1. Minimum age of 18 years old.
2. Bachelor Degree in related field preferred or equivalent preferred.
3. One to two years related experience preferred as a coordinator or supervisor of youth programs or child care.
4. Experience in program development, fiscal management, and staff development preferred as well as strong communication and interpersonal skills to successfully communicate and work with staff and volunteers.
5. Must be able to lead others to action in a positive and favorable way.
6. Certification requirements
(within 30 days of hire): CPR; First Aid; AED; Bloodborne Pathogens;
(within 60 days of hire): completion of role specific and YMCA specific trainings (Team Leader Y-Competencies)
7. Excellent interpersonal, communication, and problem solving skills.
8. Ability to relate and communicate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
Visual, auditory, and verbal ability to communicate effectively. High level of alertness, concentration, and initiative. Sufficient strength, agility, and mobility to perform job responsibilities, including ability to lift a child. Ability to lift 50 lbs. and stand, walk, or sit for extended periods of time; occasionally stoop/bend.
**The YMCA promotes an equal employment opportunity workplace which includes reasonable accommodation of otherwise qualified disabled applicants and
To apply for this job please visit www.ymcaharrison.org.